Stillman and Callahan: Nashville Mayoral Candidate Howard Gentry
Jared Stillman and Tom Callahan have the wonderful opportunity to meet with the 7 Nashville Mayoral Candidates over the next week. Howard Gentry joined us in studio this morning to talk sports, the growth of the city, and changes he would make as the next mayor.
Howard Gentry is a native Nashvillian who has committed his entire career working to improve his city. Howard is running for Mayor because he believes it’s time that our city work for every person and every neighborhood. As Mayor, Howard will fight for all Nashvillians by focusing on social equity to ensure that all of us have the opportunity to succeed with options citywide for affordable housing options, jobs and economic development, mass transportation, homelessness and poverty, literacy and education.
After graduating from TSU, Howard served as the Athletic Director, and VP for Community Relations and Development over the course of 15 years.
Following his graduation from college, Howard became a member of the TSU football and basketball radio broadcast team, serving for over thirty years in radio broadcasting also covering NASCAR.
He served as Metro Council’s first African American Councilman-at-Large before being elected Nashville-Davidson County’s first African American Vice Mayor.
Howard currently serves the Nashville as the Criminal Court Clerk of Davidson County in the Twentieth Judicial District.
Board and Council Memberships
- Alignment Nashville
- Arthritis Foundation Advisory Board
- Arts and Business Council
- Boy Scouts of America Nashville District (Chair)
- Fisk University
- Foundation for Athletics in Nashville Schools, Inc.
- Frist Center for the Visual Arts
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity
- Masonic Lodge – Prince Hall #1
- Music City Bowl Marketing Committee
- NAACP (Life Subscriber)
- Nashville Sportsman’s Club
- National Association for Court Management Clerk of Court Director
- Operation Andrew
- Penuel Ridge (President)
- Police Athletic League Board of Directors
- State of Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame (Past President)
- Tennessee State Museum Foundation
- Tiger Pride Athletic Association
- Tennessee State University’s College of Public Service and Urban Affairs
- TSU Alumni Association (Life Member)
- United Way Community Allocations and Planning Volunteer Review Team
- 100 Black Men of Middle Tennessee
FOR MORE ON HOWARD GENTRY: http://www.howardgentryformayor.com/
ELECTION: AUGUST 6TH, 2015