Calgary Flames 3, Nashville Predators 0
Game 3 of 82
* Tuesday night was James Neal’s second time playing in Music City since he was selected by the Vegas Golden Knights in the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft.
* The home opener was the teams’ 110th consecutive sellout.
* It’s early but defenseman Matt Irwin has yet to crack the lineup this season.
* Nashville raised three banners prior to the game: 2017-18 Central Division Champions, 2017-18 Presidents’ Trophy and the Regular Season Western Conference Champions.
* Suspended forward Austin Watson took the ice in full uniform during the player introduction part of the pre-game festivities.
* In an attempt to keep the puck in the attacking zone during the opening frame, Roman Josi went to rim the puck around the boards but, instead, caught Viktor Arvidsson in the face. He went straight down the tunnel only to return early in the second period wearing a jaw shield.
* Craig Smith’s work ethic has been undeniable so far this season. Early in the contest, he had a chance carom off Mike Smith’s pads and right to a Flames defenseman. While trying to push the puck up ice, Smith won the puck back and earned yet another scoring chance.
* Additionally, in the second, he won a faceoff clean just outside the Calgary zone, skated in and fired a quality shot on Smith.
* Calgary’s first two goals came via the power play.
* Nashville was awarded a 5-on-3 man advantage for a full two minutes in the second period but failed to convert despite controlling the play for all but a few seconds of it.
* Each team took four penalties on the night.
* The Flames scored a goal in each period.
* Sean Monahan potted his third and fourth goals of the young season.
* Also, Johnny Gaudreau tallied three assists in the victory, giving him seven points in just three games.
* Zac Rinaldo and Freddy Gaudreau (no relation, by the way) were the only Predators skaters without a shot on goal.
* PK Subban had a game-high four blocked shots.
* Nick Bonino went 8-4 in the faceoff circle while Ryan Johansen went 15-11.
* The Predators registered a season-high 21 shots on goal during the middle frame (and 43 total) but couldn’t solve Mike Smith.
* One might wonder if Nashville was overlooking Calgary since the Winnipeg Jets are in town Thursday for a Western Conference Semifinal rematch.
* Down in Milwaukee, Rocco Grimaldi scored yet again as the Admirals beat San Antonio, 4-3. #TeamGrimaldi
And, finally, your Game 3 Tweet of the Night:
ARVI rocking the LEGO hockey figurine mask…
— Cellblock 303 (@Cellblock303) October 10, 2018